Saturday, May 19, 2012

Coexistence

The chicks are growing fast, but I don't think they're quite ready to defend themselves against the cats. This morning before I took them outside for their playdate, I opened their box to change their water. Immediately, Bonnie and Shaela flew up to the edge of the box to look around. Duchess (our other cat, not the one pictured here) appeared and watched with interest, but didn't seem quite prepared to strike.

Then Snow White fluttered up to the edge, spooking Duchess for a moment. But she quickly returned to sniff a bit closer, which in turn spooked Snow White, who flew down onto the floor of the living room and lit out for the kitchen. With the situation about to spiral out of control - if I chased Snow White Duchess could hop right into the box - I quickly ended the little experiment and locked everyone up again.

But they love being outside so much I'm eager to finish their coop so they can take up residence. It's still a bit chilly at night, and at four weeks old, they're not fully feathered. But we're getting there - if I can solve my design challenges for the coop, I can move them out next weekend, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment